Youth Services Librarian Job Posting
The Newark Public Library, a 117 year-old, but newly renovated library located in Newark, NY, is seeking a provisional, full-time Youth Services Librarian who can empower young patrons by providing them programming, information, and resources to enrich their lives. Newark is located on the Erie Canal 40 minutes East of Rochester and just north of the Finger Lakes. Salary starts at $38,000 depending on experience and qualifications. MLS from an ALA accredited institution required. Health insurance and NYS retirement are among the benefits. This position will become permanent depending on the candidate’s score on the Wayne County Civil Service “Librarian I” test. More details of the position are below.
Send a resume, 3 references, and cover letter to Newark Public Library Executive Director, Shawn McConnell at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 19, 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees Youth Services Department Staff
- Selects materials for children and teen collection and assists in other materials selection.
- Maintains and promotes the children and teen collections.
- Creates and facilitates all exhibits, speakers, activities, programs for children, teens, and families including story-time and outreach programs in cooperation with schools and other agencies.
- Plans with the director and other staff the overall scope of library activities and services.
- Provides reference and material advisory services.
- Serves as liaison to and from other agencies and groups serving children, teens, and families.
- Communicates well with director, patrons, staff and volunteers, and keeps statistics and submits reports on children’s services.
- Responsible for entire children and teen areas including displays, equipment, furniture, materials and children’s portion of the website.
- Attends staff meetings, library board meetings if requested by director, professional meetings, workshops, and community activities.
- Keeps abreast of library issues, policies, procedures and technology. Knowledge and proficiency with computer technology is required.
- Carries out general public service duties when necessary and performs other duties as assigned by the director.
Required education and training
The position of Youth and Community Services Librarian requires the possession of a Masters of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school and eligibility for a New York State Professional Librarian’s certificate at the time of application with possession at the time of appointment. The Youth and Community Services Librarian must be eligible for Wayne County Civil Service Standing.
Skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent teaching skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Excellent database and Internet search skills
- Knowledge of the teen and children’s library collection
- Understanding of library science principles and issues
- Knowledge of computer essentials
- Organizational and planning skills
The typical workday is 9:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. However, due to programming and events, a certain amount of unscheduled, evening, and weekend work is likely. The Youth Services Librarian will be able to flex their hours accordingly.
Supervision given or received:
Supervises staff and volunteers who perform tasks in the Youth Services department.
Supervised by the library director.
Part-Time Library Clerk
The Newark Public Library (NPL) seeks one part-time library clerk to provide reliable and effective customer service to patrons following the policies and procedures of the Library. Candidates included on the Wayne County Human Resources list of eligible Library Clerks are preferred.
Essential Duties of the Position
- Performs routine circulation, holds, and fee collections
- Locates local and system-wide library materials in catalog
- Creates and updates patron records
- Generally supports patron use of library resources, including public computers and meeting spaces
- Works on each of Library’s four circulation desks
- Operates office equipment including copiers, fax machines, and computers
- Manages or collaborates on projects as assigned by Library Director or supervisors
- Assists patrons with basic help downloading electronic content
The Successful Candidate Possesses
- Basic understanding of public library service
- Working knowledge of office terminology
- Working knowledge of library filing and shelving rules
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Commitment to providing high-quality customer service
- Working knowledge of email and basic computer troubleshooting
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
- Some library or customer services experience preferred but not required
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting at $10 an hour.
- Schedule will include every Saturday, some weekdays, and some weeknights. The position is up to 25.5 hours per week.
- Benefits: vacation and sick days prorated by average hours worked
- Eligible for NYS Retirement System.
Application Deadline: Friday, May 22 at 5:00 PM,
Drop off resumes and three references at the library or e-mail them to Executive Director, Shawn McConnell at email@example.com
The Newark Public Library, a 117 year-old, but newly renovated library located in Newark, NY. Newark is located on the Erie Canal 40 minutes East of Rochester and just north of the Finger Lakes