Library Director I, Newark Public Library
The Board of Trustees of the Newark (NY) Public Library seeks a passionate, forward-thinking director to lead the library into a bright future. In 2006, the library became a district library with stable, voter-directed funding and an elected board of trustees.
Located between the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario and situated on the Erie Canal, Newark, NY is a village that is rich with history and recreational possibilities. Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, Waterloo Premium Outlets, an abundance of wineries, and the city of Rochester are all within a short drive from Newark, giving our small town community big-city advantages.
Additional information about the library is available at www.newarklibrary.org.
- Administer budget, finances, and personnel of the library.
- Plan, implement and evaluate library services.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the Pioneer Library System, its member libraries, and community organizations.
- Promote community visibility.
- Develop policies in collaboration with the Board of Trustees.
The Successful Candidate
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and project management skills.
- Commitment to providing high-quality service in an ever-changing public library environment, including familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in managing public library personnel and budgets.
- Strong commitment to community relations.
Education and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association.
- Two years of post MLS professional library experience.
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting salary range: $50,000-$55,000
- 20 vacation days, 12 sick days, 9 holidays, and 3 personal days per year.
- Health and dental benefits available.
- New York State Retirement
How to Apply
- Email application materials (cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references) in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on August 21, 2017.
- Submit an Employment and Exam Application along with the $10 application fee to Wayne County Human Resources by August 21, 2017. The application is available at http://web.co.wayne.ny.us/human-resources/
Civil Service Requirements
The successful candidate must pass the Civil Service Training and Experience exam entitled Library Director I as one of the top three scorers.
For additional information, please visit http://web.co.wayne.ny.us/human-resources/.
The Library Director I Exam Announcement is available at: http://web.co.wayne.ny.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/LIBDIR-I-EXAM.pdf
Part-Time Library Clerk
The Newark Public Library (NPL) seeks 1 part-time library clerk to provide reliable and effective customer service to patrons following the policies and procedures of the Library. The position is provisional. Permanent status is dependent on the candidate’s performance and score on the Library Clerk Wayne County Civil Service Exam. The next Library Clerk Wayne County Civil Service Exam is August 12, 2017. You can access the exam announcement by clicking or copying and pasting the following link: http://web.co.wayne.ny.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/LIBRARY-CLERK-EXAM.pdf
Applications for Wayne County must be filled out by July 17, 2017. Access the Wayne County exam and employment form by clicking or copying and pasting the following link: http://web.co.wayne.ny.us/wp-content/uploads/Human%20Resources/Wayne-County-Civil-Service-Personnel.pdf
Essential Duties of the Position
•Performs routine circulation, holds, and fee collections
•Locates local and system-wide library materials in catalog
•Creates and updates patron records
•Generally supports patron use of library resources, including public computers and meeting spaces
•Works on each of Library’s four circulation desks
•Operates office equipment including copiers, fax machines, and computers
•Manages or collaborates on projects as assigned by Library Director or supervisors
•Assists patrons with basic help downloading electronic content
The Successful Candidate Possesses
•Basic understanding of public library service
•Working knowledge of office terminology
•Working knowledge of library filing and shelving rules
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Commitment to providing high-quality customer service
•Working knowledge of email and basic computer troubleshooting
Education and Experience
• Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
•Some library or customer services experience preferred but not required
Compensation and Benefits
•Starting at $10.40 an hour
•Hours: up to 30.5 hours a week, at least some Saturdays and evenings
•Benefits: vacation, sick days, and holidays prorated by average hours worked
•Eligible for NYS Retirement System.
Drop off resumes and three references at the library or e-mail them to Interim Executive Director, Graham Tedesco-Blair at GTedescoBlair@NewarkLibrary.org.