A Message From Our Youth Services Librarian:
“We understand staying home for an extended period of time can be difficult, and we’re here to help! The links below will direct you to educational, enriching, or just plain fun online resources. Check back often, as we will be updating this page as we learn about new resources. Stay safe and enjoy!” –Mister Tye
Resources for Parents/Caregivers: Varsity Tutors
- Learning Assessment: “Measure a student’s proficiency and identify strengths and weaknesses in hundreds of subjects. Get an effective learning plan along with free tools to improve”
- Virtual Summer Camps: “Week-long sessions. Fully interactive. Starting at $0. Ages 5 – 18 • June – August”
- Learning Tools: “More than 250,000 free practice problems in over 200 subjects. Also available as mobile applications.”
Pioneer Library System Resources
- Owwl2Go for Kids: Browse the collection and access ebooks and audiobooks by downloading the Libby app
- Mango Languages: Learn a new language through fun, interactive activities
- NovelNY for Students A wide variety of online databases
Learning Games and Educator Resources
- Sesame Street: Caring for Each Other during COVID-19
- ABCya: Reading and math games
- ABCMouse: Educational games, books, puzzles & songs for kids.
- BreakoutEDU Fun @ Home: Digital games for grades K-12
- Starfall: Fun reading games for grades pre-k to grade 3
Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math
- Crayola Kids’ Playzone: Coloring pages and games
- Citizen Science: Study the world around you and send the data to scientists
- NASA STEM Engagement: Explore NASA STEM Resources for Students
- Access Mars: Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
- Math.com : “The world of math online”
- Discovery Channel Virtual Field Trips: Amazing virtual field trips
- Mystery Science: Free science lessons
- Periodic Table of Elements for Kids: An interactive periodic table
- Code.org: Learn the basics of computer science, programming, and coding
- McHarper Manor: Online art classes for elementary age kids. They will be at 1pm EST and have the week of projects listed.
- JarrettLerner.com: Author and Illustrator Jarrett Lerner provides writing and drawing activities, such as: blank comic book pages, “Finish This Comic!” comics, and drawing/writing prompts.
- Ms. Meyer’s Come Draw With Me: Daily Art Lessons
Stories & Literacy
- Jbrary Storytime Online Resources: Links to online storytimes, yoga classes, podcasts, and more!
- Storyline Online: Children’s literacy resource featuring the world’s best storytellers reading books aloud. Each video includes an activity guide with lessons for K-5 students to do at home.
- The Spanish Experiment: Spanish Children’s Stories, Online Spanish Lessons, and Spanish Course Reviews.
- International Children’s Digital Library: Children’s books from around the world, available online free of charge.
- Kate Messner’s: A collection of videos from children’s authors, including read-alouds and writing and drawing mini-lessons.
- Giant Spreadsheet: A spreadsheet of children’s authors offering content for kids
- Grimm, Grimmer, Grimmest Podcast: A “wildly enchanting fairy tale podcast” by children’s author Adam Gidwitz!
- Storytime From Space: Astronauts reading stories from SPACE!
- Mac Barnett’s Instagram: Live daily book readings!
- Mr. Jon & Friends: Live music for toddlers/preschoolers in the mornings at 10:30am for 2 weeks
- We Are Teachers: A big list of children’s authors doing online read alouds and activities
- Stimola Live!: A website of live stream events for kids, tweens, and teens by professional authors and illustrators represented by Stimola Literary Studio.
- Kids Ask Authors Podcast: A podcast by children’s author Grace Lin! Listen to episodes and submit questions, book reviews, or jokes! The podcast will be releasing 3 special episodes per week!
- Hour of Code: Free coding games for all ages
Collections of Resources
- DayByDayNY Family Literacy Calendar: Check this site daily for stories, rhymes, and activities!
- PBS Kids: Play fun and educational games, sign up for a daily newsletter with activities for at-home play and learning
- Sesame Street in Communities: Games, printables, videos, and more on topics such as Health & Hygiene Daily Routines, Exploring Emotions, Science, and Literacy
- Khan Academy: Free online learning and test prep for all ages
- National Geographic Kids: Videos, activities, and more
- Kids Activities Blog: List of educational companies offering free subscriptions.
- Internet Public Library Kids Space: “Information you can trust”
- Guinness World Records: Kids– Explore amazing world records
- Great Websites for Kids: A collection of websites just for kids!
- Google Calendar: Full of live stream events, including storytimes, art lessons, music classes, author readings, crafts, yoga, and more!
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Daily projects to keep kids reading and learning
Teens & Young Adults on the Next Page